MIM tunnel diode script example

Hello forum -
I am new to DEVSIM and would like to simulate I-V curves for a MIM tunnel diode with different affinity metals. Does anyone have an example script I could steal that might be similar? This is something I used to do in SILVACO which had built in tunneling models but I no longer have access to the commercial software. Any existing models that might be similar would be appreciated. Thank you in advance and look forward to learning this tool.
V/r,
chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I am not aware of anyone having created such a model. Do you have any details about the models you would want to use? Are there metal regions or are they just contacts? The tunneling is occurring at the interfaces?

Good evening Juan - thanks for the reply. And thank you for developing this tool and your diligent attention to the forums - I know this project requires a lot of your free time.

I would like to simulate tunneling current through an insulator as a function of voltage. The metals are simply contacts so all voltage is dropped across the dielectric and tunneling occurs through the forbidden gap in the insulator. I would like to model direct tunneling in the low-thickness regime and fowler-nordheim for larger dielectric thicknesses. Using metals of different affinity creates a built-in field and an asymmetric I-V curve.

Anyway - I realize there probably isn’t a script for this yet but if you have any suggestions for similar code that might get me on the right track I would greatly appreciate. Thanks again Juan and take care.
V/r,
cs

Hi,

Thanks for your nice note, and your understanding concerning how quickly I can reply on the forum.

Are you solving a continuity equation in the insulator, or just the poisson equation for the potential? It is possible to set different boundary conditions using the contact_equation command. If you are solving a non-local tunneling model where the current is being transported directly between the contacts, without a continuity equation in the insulator, it is also possible to code this by adding terms directly to the simulation matrices.